Sony Interactive Entertainment and Guerrilla Games revealed new screenshots and detailed Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Pro enhancements.
Horizon Zero Dawn was running on a standard PS4 console during E3 reveal and now the developer claims it will run even better on PS4 Pro, specifically on an HDR-compatible 4K TV.
Here’s an overview at PS4 Pro Enhancements from technical director, Michiel van der Leeuw:
- For players with who still possess standard 1080p HDTVs, we’re able to offer far better image quality, supersampling – a very high-quality anti-aliasing technique, which internally renders at a higher resolution (close to 4K) before shrinking it down to the final 1080p resolution.
- As the internal calculations are done at a resolution much higher than 1080p, more detail survives before we shrink it down to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges — virtually no jaggies — and a more stable image.
- Enhanced quality of shadow maps and increased quality of anisotropic filtering. This technique increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures.
- The game on PS4 Pro fully supports users with 4K TVs, outputting at a much higher resolution, rendering at 2160p checkerboard – a special technique that looks incredible on a 4K TV.
- You’ll notice a ton of subtle details, from stitching on Aloy’s outfit, individual leaves and branches swaying in the wind, kilometers away in the distance, and more detail in all the machines and NPCs in the world.
- Support for HDR (high dynamic range), a brand-new feature that enhances the range of colors we can display. HDR-enabled TV can experience the game in its full glory, with brighter and deeper colors, more contrast and vibrancy, in its pristine state.
The game is set “in a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes.
Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin.
Play as Aloy, a young hunter on a quest to discover her destiny among the remnants of the ancient past.
Shunned by her own tribe since birth, Aloy has learned to harness her agility, cunning, and deadly aim to hunt the Machines, defend against rival tribes, and survive in the unforgiving wilds.”
Horizon Zero Dawn launches on February 28, 2017.