Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has finally arrived and opened to a massive $145 million in 4,347 domestic theaters.
The film topped the weekend box office, but feel short comparing it to Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, which opened to $174.8 million.
The sequel earned an estimated $123.8 million internationally this weekend and $145 million domestically for a worldwide total of $427.6 million in 13 days, which helps push the worldwide total for the Marvel Cinematic Universe over $11.3 billion.
It played on 1,088 IMAX screens in 69 markets, making it the widest opening weekend in IMAX’s history.
Also, $25 million ($13 million from domestic and $12 million from international theaters) of the global ticket sales came from IMAX theaters as the film played on 1,088 IMAX screens in 69 markets making it the widest opening in IMAX’s history.
The Weekend’s forecast:
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (4,347 theaters) – $158.3 M
- The Fate of the Furious (3,592 theaters) – $9.5 M
- How to be a Latin Lover (1,203 theaters) – $7.7 M
- The Boss Baby (3,284 theaters) – $5.7 M
- Beauty and the Beast (2,680 theaters) – $4.7 M
- The Circle (3,163 theaters) – $4.2 M
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (425 theaters*) – $4.1 M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village (1,902 theaters) – $2.2 M
- Gifted (1,874 theaters) – $1.9 M
- Going in Style (2,033 theaters) – $1.9 M
The film stars an ensemble cast featuring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Sean Gunn, Glenn Close, Pom Klementieff, Elizabeth Debicki, Chris Sullivan, and Kurt Russell.
Written and directed by James Gunn.
Produced by Kevin Feige with Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Jonathan Schwartz, Nik Korda and Stan Lee serving as executive producers.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 released on May 5, 2017, in 3D and IMAX.