The first Grand Theft Auto V details are out via US magazine Game Informer.
GI’s December issue, a 18-page cover feature includes a ton of unknown details about Rockstar’s hugely anticipated open world action-adventure video game.
Check out all the new details revealed below:
- GTA V “evolves nearly every mechanic, features the biggest world in series history and introduces a new technology that radically changes the way players control the game.”
- Features the biggest open world in the series’ history – GTA V’s world is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV combined.
- The game’s three main characters are called Michael, Trevor and Franklin (Three playable characters who you can switch between “at nearly any time”).
- Each character has their own specific abilities and story arc, with all three stories intertwined.
- Character 1 – Michael is retired, early 40s, a highly successful former bank robber. He retired in luxury after making a deal with the FIB. He’s in the witness protection program, he hates his wife who spends his money and hates him too. He doesn’t understand his two teenage kids Tracy and Jimmy, and is forced back into the game as his money is about to run out. He’s also the narrator of the original GTA V trailer.
- Character 2 – Trevor is a career criminal, early 40s, drug user governed by his desires, prone to violent outbursts and destructive rampages, a loose cannon, former military pilot, used to work a bank job with Michael back in the day, always up for a heist.
- Character 3 – Franklin, repo man, mid 20s, a young and ambitious hustler, works for an Armenian luxury car dealership that sells cars to those who can’t afford them, and when they can’t pay up he plays repo man. He stumbles into Michael while looking for a hustle.
- Camera zooms out to a “Google Earth-style” perspective when switching characters.
- Certain characters from GTA IV and Episodes From Liberty City will also make an appearance. Rockstar’s Dan Houser says we’ll never see characters from the PS2 era, though. “The five PS2 games are one universe, and this is the high definition universe, so they don’t co-exist,” he says.
- No major actors cast as any of the main characters.
- Focus on making more diverse missions.
- Waterfront activities include a muscle beach gym.
- Ammu-Nation is back.
- Heists and bank robberies are a big theme to the game.
- Characters will work together during missions, and you can switch between characters mid-mission to fulfill different roles. For example, during a chase sequence you can pilot the getaway helicopter as Trevor, snipe pursuing pilots as Franklin, or fire an assault rifle as Michael.
- Missions will have a “very different tone depending on who’s on them, how many people are on them, and how much we’re using switches”, says Houser.
- Even when you’re not controlling them, each character will still go about their own business across Los Santos. “You may be surprised by the situations they find themselves in should you switch back to check up on them,” says Game Informer.
- Big advances to lighting and shader model. Greater draw distance.
- Cars “hold better to the ground”.Rockstar thought they were a bit “boat like” in GTA IV. It “feels more like a racing game”.
- More vehicles than in any GTA to date, confirmed vehicles include BMX, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, huge variety of cars and trucks, helicopters, planes, ATVs, Jet Skis, planes, heli’s, but vehicle manufacturers are still fictional.
- Fighter jets appear to be in. One screenshot shows a fighter equipped with missiles, as a helicopter explodes in the background.
- Improved shooting and melee combat. Melee combat “never going to be as big a deal as shooting,” though, warns Houser.
- Pedestrians are fully mo-capped and more interactive.
- Rockstar is leveraging cinematic tricks learned from Max Payne 3.
- You can rappel down buildings, although it’s not confirmed whether this is specific to certain missions.
- Los Santos is described as a “huge and diverse city”, combining the best of Red Dead Redemption’s “large open expanses” with GTA IV’s “densely packed urban environment”.
- Areas in the game world include beachfronts, mountains, the wilderness, a “Salton Sea” region, a military base and the suburbs.
- GTA: San Andreas was about gang culture. GTA V is about capturing the “contemporary culture of LA”.
- There will be a “vibrant and fun” economy, but you won’t be able to buy property.
- A variety of different side missions and “more sophisticated” minigames, including yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base-jumping, tennis and golf. There’s a full golf course in the game. You can go scuba diving along the coastline of Los Santos, or go to the gym on the seafront.
- Each character will have unique hobbies, including “one or two key minigame activities per character”.
- San Andreas’ RPG-like player customization is still absent, but you can customize the clothing of each character.
- Houser doesn’t think there will be romances as ‘it wouldn’t work’.
- Each protagonist has a set of friends to interact with.
- Lamar: Franklin’s friend, a good sort of crazy. He’s very funny.
- Jimmy: Michael’s friend, lazy pot smoking 20 year old, they have a confused father-son relationship.
- Ron: Trevor’s best friend, paranoiac conspiracy theorist living in a trailer.
- Amanda: Michael’s wife, he’s been awful to her, she’s a strong personality, bound to him but they can’t stand each other
- GTA IV’s mobile phone returns, but a lot of its features have been altered. You can use it to access the internet.
- Random encounters with citizens are coming back in a big way.
- Dynamic missions – hidden missions dotted around the game world. “Going off-road in the desert, you may come across two parked cars and a sea of dead bodies around them… Investigate if you want.”
Rockstar will release the much-anticipated second GTA V trailer on November 14.
GTA V will release in spring 2013 for PS3 and Xbox 360.
You can like our page on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or add us to your circle on Google+ to keep yourself updated on all the latest news around the web.