CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner), developed by Piriform is a utility program used to clean potentially unwanted files and invalid Windows Registry entries from a computer. A public beta version for the Mac has been released.
CCleaner supports the cleaning of temporary or potentially unwanted files left by certain programs, including Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip, and other applications along with browsing history, cookies, Recycle bin, memory dumps, file fragments, log files, system caches, application data, autocomplete form history, and various other data.
The program also includes a registry cleaner to locate and correct problems in the Windows registry, such as missing references to shared DLLs, unused registration entries for file extensions, and missing references application paths. As of v2.27, CCleaner can wipe the MFT free space of a drive, or the entire drive itself. But the best part is that it’s fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!
CNET editors gave the application a rating of 5/5 stars, calling it a “highly-recommended” and “a must-have tool” in spite of some minor glitches. In addition to that, CCleaner was awarded the April 2009 Editor’s Choice Award by CNET.
- Added initial support for Windows 8.
- (Build 1550) Fixed Recycle Bin issues.
- Added expanded Recycle Bin contents in detailed view.
- Improved Thunderbird cache cleaning support.
- Improved Safari history cleaning.
- Improved “Unused File Extensions” registry rule improvements.
- Improved Secure file deletion on FAT32 file system.
- Improved Drive Wiper tool to prevent UI freezing.
- Improved cleaning for Windows Log Files, Memory Dumps, Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010.
- Improved Speedbit Download Accelerator Plus cleaning.
- Added cleaning for AkelPad.
- Added Latvian translation.
- Minor bug fixes.