Activision released the Zombie Mode trailer after teasing us with a preview clip previous week.
Black Ops 2 will include three zombie modes:
- Tranzit which will include a “big, giant, expansive world, significantly bigger than anything [Treyarch has] ever created,” for solo up to four-players in co-op.
- Survival which sees players being attacked in a single area in the Tranzit world. Players will hold off zombies in a safe area and go out into the throng to nab bonuses scattered throughout the environment. Survival areas will be similar to dedicated maps with access to multiple areas designed to play as a standalone section in solo or as a four-player co-op session.
- Grief is a new mode for up to eight players which combines Survival with competitive elements. Two teams of four players are tossed into the world of Tranzit and will have to outlive the other team. Players cannot kill each other but they can put the other team in unfavorable situations. Think of it as Humans vs. Humans vs. Zombies.
“Because it’s open and because there are multiple locations in this world where you can play and where the infestation is, there’s different strategies about how you can approach it,” Treyarch’s Mark Lamia told Joystiq. “It’s a much bigger world with much more going on.”
Zombies mode will also contain:
- Stat tracking: Zombie fans will now have “extensive stats” attached to their monster hunting sessions, much like multiplayer fans have in the competitive part of the game.
- Leaderboards: Stat tracking transitions into leaderboards for each zombie mode and can be broken down in detailed ways, like ranking based on maps. As an example, Lamia says players could check rankings for Survival in one particular area. “That will have its own leaderboard,” Lamia added, mentioning detailed breakdowns for the other modes as well. “A lot more leaderboards, a lot more stats.”
- Improved Matchmaking: Using the multiplayer system, the game will attempt to match players faster than it has in the past. Because stats are tracked, Lamia says, Treyarch “will do [its] best” to match players with similar skill in the zombies mode. Of course, players can jump in and play with friends or anyone of varied skill levels if they choose.
- Custom Games: “Now we’re going to let you create custom games of the modes I just talked about,” Lamia says. Creating a custom zombie game, players can make a series of decisions including setting a starting round (with players given points at the beginning of the match that are relative to the round choice, so players can purchase weapons and items to help them survive), you can set challenges like ‘Headshots Only’ at the beginning of the match or at specific rounds, turn magic items off (no perk machines, no ‘Pack-a-Punch,’ no mystery boxes). Lamia says there will be a laundry list of tweaks players can make.
Zombie mode features four new playable characters, one a female, and no narrative because the narrative is being created by “fans for the mode.”
More zombie types are in this time, including “normal zombies” and “special zombies.”
Now let’s watch the Zombie trailer after the break:
Black Ops 2 will be released on November 13, 2012 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
You can like our page on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or add us to your circle on Google+ to keep yourself updated on all the latest news around the web.