Warner Bros. Pictures’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice debuted with lower than projected numbers.
Update: As of May 5, 2016, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has grossed $326.2 million in North America and $538.2 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $864.4 million, making it the second highest-grossing film in the first four months of 2016 behind Zootopia.
In March 2016, The film earned $170.1 million in North America, $254 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $420.1 million, making it the biggest opening for a superhero film, the second biggest for Warner Bros. and the fourth biggest of all time.
It also became the first superhero film & fourth film to have a global opening of above $400 million. It also had an IMAX worldwide opening weekend total of $36 million from 945 IMAX screens, the third biggest ever, behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($48 million) and Jurassic World ($44 million).
Batman v Superman has took over the crown from Fantastic Four (which dropped 48% over the course of its opening weekend), it currently holds the top spot for the worst Friday to Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern day box office history with a 58% decline.
According to Variety estimates, the film needs to earn over $800 million to recoup $250 million production budget & $150-$160 million marketing budget.
Weekend’s box office forecasts (via boxofficemojo.com):
- Captain America: Civil War (4,226 theaters) – $210 M
- The Jungle Book (4,144 theaters) – $24.48 M
- Mother’s Day (3,141 theaters) – $4.98 M
- The Huntsman: Winter’s War (2,896 theaters) – $4.43 M
- Keanu (2,681 theaters) – $4.16 M
- Zootopia (2,077 theaters) – $3.3 M
- Barbershop: The Next Cut (1,734 theaters) – $2.98 M
- Ratchet & Clank (2,895 theaters) – $2.14 M
- The Boss (1,907 theaters) – $2.02 M
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (1,593 theaters) – $1.86 M
You can like our page on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, subscribe to our YouTube channel, or add us to your circle on Google+ to keep yourself updated on all the latest news around the web.