Ubisoft unveiled the first details for Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, the next installment in the company’s best-selling franchise.
Introducing an all new hero and setting, and will feature the most diverse and seamless Assassin’s Creed world ever created.
In development for nearly two years, the game is being spearheaded by one of the veteran Assassin’s Creed teams in Ubisoft Montreal with support from Ubisoft studios in Annecy, Bucharest, Kiev, Quebec, Singapore and Sofia.
“With the new hero and new setting we are creating the boldest and most unique Assassin’s Creed game yet, while still respecting the pillars of the franchise that have made it such a fan favorite,” said Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot. Based on a true, harsh and exciting part of a legendary era and will thrill longtime fans and newcomers alike.”
Read the full details below:
- Black Flag is set in the West Indies in 1715, the world is totally seamless.
- There are 50 unique locations including cities, jungles, ruins, coves, and caves, all with hidden treasure and adventure.
- You can harpoon whales, go diving, and loot ships
- There will be proper assassinations with targets that you choose how to approach and take out.
- You’ll fight against, and alongside, infamous brigands like Edward ‘Blackbeard’ Teach, Benjamin Hornigold, Calico Jack, and Anne Bonny.
- Major cities include Kingston and Havana, and there’ll be dozens of smaller settlements and port towns scattered around the world to explore and pick up missions from.
- The new hero is Edward Kenway – father of ACIII’s Haytham. He is selfish, cocky, and charismatic.
- Edward owns his own ship, the Jackdaw. It can be upgraded, repaired, and customized, and you can manage the crew.
- As you sail the high seas you can climb the crow’s nest and use a spyglass to search for ships on the horizon. This tells you how strong they are and what cargo they’re hauling
- Weather and physics will play a larger role in naval combat.
- There are different classes of enemy ship, including ‘chargers’ who’ll try and ram you and shatter your hull.
- There aren’t any interruptions in the transition between naval combat and boarding a ship.
- You can approach ships from any angle, weaken them with your cannons, then attach grapples to pull them towards you and storm the deck. Or swim around the back unnoticed and slit the captain’s throat for the stealth-loving players.
- Instead of Desmond, the modern day is centered around you, a ‘research analysts’ working at Abstergo and living out the past Edward Kenway.
- It all looks fantastic. The waves are especially impressive, tossing ships around as lightning streaks across the sky.
Gameplay in Assassin’s Creed: IV Black Flag is based upon the franchise’s proven tenets. It features a vast open world with more than 50 navigable locations. Combat combines the weaponry of the Assassin’s Order with armaments of the era, and rewards both daring and stealth & the series’ acclaimed multiplayer experience is more varied and ruthless than ever.
“Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag tells the story of Edward Kenway, a young British man with a thirst for danger and adventure, who falls from privateering for the Royal Navy into piracy as the war between the major Empires comes to an end.
Edward is a fierce pirate and seasoned fighter who soon finds himself embroiled in the ancient war between Assassins and Templars. Set at the dawn of the 18th Century, the game features some of the most infamous pirates in history, such as Blackbeard and Charles Vane, and takes players on a journey throughout the West Indies during a turbulent and violent period of time later to become known as the Golden Age of Pirates.”
PS3 and PS4 owners can download 60 minutes of additional gameplay via the PlayStation Network after the game’s launch.
Pre-order Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag will launch on October 29th, 2013 for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, PC and Wii U.
You can like our page on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or add us to your circle on Google+ to keep yourself updated on all the latest news around the web.
Source: Press Release